S1 English Homework. Exercise 3.
Agreement of the Verb with its Subject
Copy the following note into your jotter.
A singular subject must be followed by a singular verb. A plural subject is followed by a plural verb.
1 . The height of the walls was increased. (Singular)
2.The walls of the city were destroyed. (Plural)
3.Most of the harvest was ruined. (Singular)
4.Most of the men were saved. (Plural)
Write out the following sentences in your jotter. Choose the correct word from the brackets.
1. The absence of the boys (was, were) reported.
2. The boys of the school (is, are) taught swimming.
3. The bridges of the town (was, were) rebuilt.
4. The guilt of the prisoners (was, were) proved beyond doubt.
5. The prisoners in the castle (was, were) closely guarded.
6. Most of the noise (was, were) made by the boys.
7. Most of his questions (was, were) ridiculous.
8. Most of his knowledge (is, are) useless.
9. Most of his answers (is, are) correct.
10. Most of his money (has, have) been lost.
11. Most of his plans (has, have) failed.
12. Most of the survivors (was, were) in great distress.
13. The wheels of a train (is, are) tested frequently.
14. The bikes in the shop (is, are) very expensive.
15. Most of the neighbours (was, were) friendly.