WW1 - Former Pupils' Obituaries (A to K)

Short Biographical Notices of the Old Boys that
fell in the Great War.




DRIVER THOMAS WILSON ANTHONY, R.F.A., was the younger son of Mr. James Anthony, formerly superintendent of the G.B.& K. Joint Railway. Originally recommended for a commission, but turned down on account of defective eyesight, he was afterwards accepted for the R.F.A., and received his training at Maryhill, where he qualified as a signaller. In France he went through much of the heavy fighting on the Somme . Towards the close of the war his battery was attached to the Canadians, and in the final advance he was wounded a few miles north of Cambrai, on 15th October, 1918 , and died the following day. He left school in 1908. Amongst his schoolmates were Willie Picken and Andrew Bryson, both of whom were killed. Tom Anthony was interested in every form of sport—football, cricket, and golf in all of which he excelled. In the Town v. Country match he played his part, and he also gained his place in the Cricket XI. In civil life he was on the head office staff of the Clyde Navigation Trust in Glasgow .


PRIVATE ALEXANDER ARMOUR, Gordons, of 4 Stevenson Street , Kilmarnock , before coming to the Academy as a Paterson and Wilson bursar, was a pupil at the Hamilton School . He joined the Gordon Highlanders ( Kitchener 's Army) in November, 1914, and was trained at Salisbury . Crossing to France in July, 1915, he was posted missing at Loos. Alex. behaved with great gallantry in this his first engagement. His captain wrote highly of him and said he would have been promoted on the field had he been there to answer the roll call. He was only twenty-two years of age when he died, and before he offered himself for service was on the staff of Kilmarnock Co-operative Society.


CORPORAL GEORGE B. ARMSTRONG, Canadians, commenced his education in the old Academy, and finished in the new. He was fifteen years of age when he left school to learn the trade of joiner and builder. After serving his apprenticeship the lure of Canada produced the wanderlust, which has affected so many of the old boys of the Academy, and he eventually found himself in the land of the Maple Leaf. The will to make better carried him on. Full of rare experience he established a good business connection in which he was respected and esteemed by all who came in contact with him. Early in 1915 he enlisted, and after the preliminary training was drafted to France , where he saw and shared in some of the hardest fighting from that time onwards. Midst all the varying fortunes of war he came through unscathed, and arrived home to Kilmarnock on leave on October, 1918. The strong constitution with which he was endowed broke down under the severe strain of his hardships, and he contracted a severe cold, which later developed complications, and he died on 8th November at his parents' house in Wallace Street . It was a tragic end to a life full of promise. On Armistice Day, when the nation was rejoicing with a deep, inexpressible thankfulness that war was no more, George Armstrong was laid to rest in the Kilmarnock New Cemetery .


LIEUTENANT JOHN D. BAIRD, M.C., R.A.F., was the elder son of Lieutenant James Donald Baird, senior partner of the firm of Messrs. James Donald & Co., Portland Street , Kilmarnock , who served with the Royal Scots during the war. He entered Kilmarnock Academy in 1904, and left in 1912 to enter upon his training as an engineer. When war broke out he was a territorial in the Royal Field Artillery, and was mobilised with the Territorial Forces. Later on he was transferred to the Royal Naval Division, in which he obtained his commission and was placed in the Hood Battalion. He saw considerable service in France and was twice wounded. On recovering from his second wound he was transferred at his own request to the Royal Naval Air Service, where he did good work and became an experienced flyer. He was killed in an aeroplane accident in his twenty-first year. Jack, as he was familiarly called, was a singularly bright and cheerful lad of a warm-hearted disposition and a great favourite with all his companions. In the army he was very popular both with his fellow-officers and the men, and had not only received letters of thanks from his brigadier-general for conspicuous acts of bravery, but had been presented with the Hood Battalion flag, which is regarded as a mark of great honour.


Kilmarnock - Park Street

Kilmarnock - John Finnie Street


2ND LIEUTENANT JAMES BARNETT, 1/4th R.S.F., was the only child of Colonel Barnett, V.P., T.D., Kilmarnock , who commanded the battalion at the outbreak of war. Born at Kilmarnock , 7th March, 1895 , he was educated at Kilmarnock Academy , Irvine Royal Academy , and Glasgow University , where he distinguished himself as a prizeman in Logic, Latin, English and Political Economy, and was secretary of the University Dialectic Society. He was gazetted 2nd Lieutenant 4th R.S.F. on 14th August, 1913 . Prior to joining his battalion he acted as Lieutenant and afterwards as Captain of the Irvine Royal Academy Cadet Corps. He was also the first Boy Scout to be enrolled in Ayrshire, and was the Patrol Leader of the 1st Ayrshire Troop. On the outbreak of war the entire battalion volunteered for foreign service, and proceeded to the Dardanelles on 20th May, 1915 . Lieutenant Barnett fell while leading the charge in the battle of 12th July, 1915 , at the head of his men and just as they reached the Turkish trenches. By his death the regiment lost a most valuable young officer, one who on many occasions had shown himself full of bravery and determination. All who knew him were unanimous in their praise of his fearlessness and devotion to duty.


PRIVATE WALTER ERIC BARRETT, H.L.I., son of Mr. George Barrett, was the youngest of four brothers all educated at Kilmarnock Academy . Eric, as he was known to his intimates, was one of a merry band of comrades who ever strove to uphold the honour of the school. He left the Academy in 1914 to enter upon his studies for the dental profession. When the clear call came Eric joined the 9th H.L.I. in November, 1915, and after a period of training at Ripon and Catterick was drafted to France in July, 1916. Here he was killed in action at the age of nineteen, during a night attack, 25th and 26th August, 1916 , at High Wood, Langueval, Somme battlefield. Eric was a youth of fine physique, of singularly amiable disposition, of frank and engaging personality. Passionately fond of music, he was no mean performer on the pianoforte, while in the realm of sport his natural aptitude for cricket was early evidenced. Many an excellent game did he play for his school and his club, while later he proved himself a tower of strength to his regimental team. It is hard to connect bright-eyed Eric Barrett with the idea of death. Even yet one cannot think of him and his merry classmates—Inglis Wyllie, Graeme Lang, John M‘Nay, Archie M‘Lelland without a pang of pain.

“Yet, O stricken heart, remember! O remember

How of human days they lived the better part.

April came to bloom, but never dim December

Breathed its killing chills upon the head or heart.”


SERGEANT ALEX. BAXTER, Canadians, was an earnest supporter of all forms of sport. He was the leading light of the young men of Mauchline who instituted a school of physical culture, which later developed into the present Harriers' Club. After passing through a course at the Academy he completed his apprenticeship as a bank clerk in the local bank, and later emigrated to Canada to take up an appointment there. He afterwards forsook this profession and became a real estate agent. On the outbreak of war he joined the Canadians, was drafted to France , and was soon promoted, but his promising career came to an abrupt close at Vimy Ridge on 9th April, 1917 .


PRIVATE ARCHIE BAXTER, R.N.D., a Mauchline boy, was a pupil of the Academy from 1910. He was well known among his schoolfellows for his keen interest in sport. Like M‘Curdie, Lambie, and Stewart, his companions, he was a member of the Harriers' Club at home, and was always a willing supporter and an earnest player of football in the school playground or the Rugby Park . On August, 1914, he enlisted in the R.S.F., but afterwards entered the R.N.D., and was on active service as an A.B., Drake Battalion, R.N.V.R. His career was cut short at the early age of twenty, as he died of wounds in France on 24th April, 1917 , fifteen days after the death of his brother Alec.



PRIVATE GEORGE A. BEGG, Camerons, was a son of Mr. Begg, Thomson Street , and brother of Mr. John Begg, science master, Irvine Academy , and of Dr. Alexander Begg, Glengarnock. He was a pupil at the Academy from 1904 to 1909, leaving to begin his apprenticeship as an engineer at the Railway Works, Kilmarnock , where he remained for five years. Then, as he intended going to sea, he sought experience with Messrs. Beardmore & Co., Dalmuir, where he assisted in the trials of H.M.S. “Conqueror.” Next in 1912 we find George an engineer on board the “City of Lahore ,” which in August, 1914, had just left Bombay bound for Liverpool . The voyage was interrupted by danger from submarines. No sooner did George Begg reach England than he signed off his ship and joined up in the Camerons, as handsome a young soldier as wore the kilt. He was drafted to France in August, 1915, and was only six weeks in France when he was killed at the battle of Loos, 26th September, 1915 , in the twenty-fourth year of his age.


PRIVATE GEORGE BLAIR, Seaforths, son of Mr. W. F. Blair, Mauchline, was only twenty-four years of age when he was killed in Mesopotamia on 22nd February, 1917 . He left school in 1908 to begin work as an engineer in the Glenfield, and was within a fortnight of completing his apprenticeship when he enlisted in the Seaforths. He received, his training at Cromarty, and without ever once getting home he was sent to France in March, 1915. After participating in the almost continuous fighting at that time—and through which he passed unscathed—he was transported to Mesopotamia , landing at Basrah on Christmas day, 1915. There he was in much of the fighting prior to the capture of Kut, and was killed in the advance to Bagdad . George was a lad of most likeable personality, and—a keen “ health and strength” student—he had a physique very much above the normal. He was loved by all who knew him, and was especially admired by his associates in the Glenfield.


PRIVATE R. GORDON BOYD, Gordons, was a son of Mr Robert Boyd, headmaster in succession of Glencairn, High Street, Grammar, and Bentinck Schools , Kilmarnock . After taking the Intermediate Certificate at the Academy in a class from which four pupils made the supreme sacrifice, he commenced his apprenticeship at the Glenfield, where he remained two years, at the same time attending evening classes in the Engineering Course at the Technical School . The insistent call of his country he could not withstand, and, himself a Gordon, in May, 1915, joined the 1st Gordon Highlanders of Kitchener's Army. Five months later he crossed to France . At Loos the Gordons held the Ypres salient from October till January, and during this time he saw much hard fighting. The battalion held St. Omar for week, and, at the “Bluff,” Gordon was one of the 250 killed, while 700 emerged from this inferno scarred and wounded. Fainting at the sight of blood at hone, he was for three and a half months never out of sight of it. Of a singularly unselfish disposition, he was a great favourite among his fellow-pupils, and many little episodes of his school career are affectionately remembered by his classmates. He was in his twentieth year when he fell. It is worthy of note that James Cameron Boyd, MC., MA., LL.B., Lieutenant R.F.A., the elder brother of Private Gordon Boyd, while he did not die on service, nevertheless met his death as the direct consequence of wounds received in action. Cameron Boyd was one of the Academy's best known and most distinguished pupils. His intellectual gifts made him a conspicuous figure throughout his school life, particularly in his work for the Literary Society, and his buoyant spirits and bright nature endeared him to all his fellows. After finishing an excellent career at Kilmarnock Academy , he went to Glasgow University , where he studied modern languages and graduated in arts with honours. He then entered the faculty of law, and took the LL.B. degree. During that time war broke out and he joined the University O.T.C., but was rejected for a commission in infantry on medical grounds. Nothing daunted he joined the R.F.A. at Piershill Barracks as a driver. He trained as a signaller and showed such aptitude that he was selected for a commission in the artillery, and on being gazetted he proceeded overseas. After some very hard service he was wounded whilst acting as F.O.O. for his battery, and this wound cost him the sight of one eye. Shortly before this he was granted the Military Cross for his gallant conduct while his battery was in action. After a long convalescence he returned to his private work, and had so far succeeded as to have started in a law practice on his own account, when the results of the wound made a dangerous operation necessary. This treatment was at first successful, but complications set in and Cameron passed to his rest in June, 1920.


2ND LIEUTENANT JOHN BOYD, R.S.F., youngest son of Mr. Robert Boyd, of Glencairn Cottage, Kilmaurs, attended the Academy for six years, from 1910 to 1916. He was for some years a member of the Cadet Corps, where he showed much keenness as quartermaster-sergeant. His excellent marksmanship at the shooting range enabled him to win the cap and badge offered by Bailie Munro. He also took an active part in the Scout movement at Kilmaurs, acting as assistant scoutmaster and treasurer. He had intended entering the teaching profession, but the war claimed him in 1916, when he joined the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. After four months' training at Ripon he was advised to study for a commission, and went to Newmarket for that purpose. He received his commission in March, 1917, and proceeded in May to France , where he took part in the great offensive of July. He returned home in September for his last visit as it proved. In the following January he proceeded to a school of signalling for special instruction, and was congratulated by his examining officers on making a record when he passed his final examinations. Instead of entering the Royal Engineers he preferred to return to his own battalion as signalling officer. He was killed by a shell on the 12th of April, while his company, after some severe fighting, were on their way to a rest billet. Strong, capable, and reliable, John Boyd was a lad of exceptional promise; and his transparent honesty of purpose, his kindliness of heart, and his unfailing good nature made him deservedly one of the most popular boys of his year.


Kilmarnock - Glencairn Square

Kilmarnock - Waterloo Street


PRIVATE JOHN BOYD, Camerons, of 33 Portland Street , Kilmarnock , entered the infant class of the present Academy in 1898, the first year it was opened, and therefore had Miss Margaret Cochrane as his first teacher. As he passed up through the school he showed an increasing fondness for art, and gave considerable promise on the mathematical side. He was of a singularly happy and cheerful disposition, and at the same time was thoughtful beyond his years. About the time he left school in 1909 he became greatly interested in work among the deaf and dumb, and they continued to attract a large share of his time and energy up till the time he entered the army. He was a fine swimmer and was a conspicuous prizeman for several years in the gala at the Academny baths. On leaving school he began work with Messrs. Ingram & Brown, architects, but after eighteen months in their office he became associated with his father, Mr. W. C. Boyd, and was working with him in 1914 when the war broke out. In November of that year he enlisted in the Cameron Highlanders, and early the following year was sent to France . On the 8th of May, 1915 , he was shot through the head by a German sniper on the front at Ypres . He was twenty-two years of age when he fell.


PRIVATE ANDREW BOWER, Cameronians, died at Rustchuk, a month after the armistice was signed. The name recalls a quiet, studious boy who came to the Academy from Stewarton about 1901, taking from the first a good place in all his classes, and by steadfastness in friendship winning a popularity not usually accorded to one so reserved. After serving as a pupil teacher at Stewarton and training at Glasgow University and Training College , Andrew Bower taught for two years in Prestwick , after which he received an appointment in Broomloan School , Govan. Though he offered himself for the army at Christmas, 1914, he was not accepted till the spring of 1917. He saw service in the R.A.M.C. at Salonika , and was afterwards transferred to the Scottish Rifles. After the surrender of the Bulgarians he had a long march through Bulgaria . The severity of the climate and the privations of the march brought on pneumonia, to which he succumbed on 9th December, 1918 , at the age of thirty-one.


PRIVATE ANDREW BROWN, R.S.F., came to Kilmarnock as a Fenwick pupil in 1910. At this time his parents removed from the farm of Hillhousehill to Grassmillees, Mauchline. A diligent scholar he obtained his Intermediate Certificate at the end of three years, and thereafter took up farming with his father at Grassmillees. At school he always played his part in the daily games as well in the boys' friendly town and country matches, and won prizes at the school sports. He was always a thorough sportsman, and his quiet, frank nature won for him many good friends. Several of these, like himself, were not spared to hear the bells of victory, for just while the Armistice was bringing its messages of relief and joy to many, sad news reached Brown's home. After a very short training at Fort Matilda he had been drafted to France , and on 25th October, 1918 , was killed on his first morning over the top at Hailete.


PRIVATE JOHN BROWN, H.L.I, was a pupil at the Academy from 1906 till 1911. He then became a law apprentice with Messrs. Hugh Barnett & Co., and passed from there to Messrs. M‘Callum & Fleming, writers, West George Street , Glasgow . He took third place in the final law examination in Edinburgh in March, 1915, and joined 9th H.L.I. next day. He was drafted to France in October, 1915, and was on active service in France till he was reported “missing,” when acting as a bomber at High Wood, on 15th July, 1916 . He was twenty-three years of age.



2ND LIEUTENANT JOHN DUNLOP BROWN, 17th H.L.I., received all his education at the Academy, leaving about 1896. When he left school he went into business with his brother as a jeweller, and continued in that business until he joined the army. He enlisted as a private in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, but afterwards received a commission as second lieutenant. He died at Passchendaele on 4th December, 1917 , at the age of thirty-seven.


GUNNER JOHN BROWN, R.G.A., came from Netherton School to the Academy in 1905, and remained there for two years in the Higher Grade Department. He joined the army some time after the outbreak of war, and after a short period of training was transferred to the Western Front. He was killed at Lijasentoch, in Belgium , on the 8th of October, 1917 , at the age of twenty-five, leaving a widow to mourn his loss.

[The name of this Old Boy was not received till the War Memorial was completed, so that, unfortunately, it does not occur in the list on the bronze tablets.]


PRIVATE ROBERT BROWN, Camerons, was the son of Mr. Fullarton Brown, Briarhill Road , Prestwick . He was two years at the Academy, from 1906 to 1908, and was apprenticed as a grocer. On 30th May, 1915 , he became a soldier, but after only about six months' service he was killed on the 1st of December, 1915 , in his twenty-first year.


2ND LIEUTENANT WILLIAM R. RONN, R.S.F., was one of the 1913 Class VI. which suffered very severely in the war. He came to us from Galston 1910, and completed his Junior Student course in 1913. During these three years he commended himself to all by a quiet and likeable disposition and fitted easily and spontaneously into all the activities of the school. His share in the midday football tussles in the playground will not be forgotten. Proceeding to Glasgow University he studied there for the teaching profession till 1916. Joining the army he went to France in June, 1917, and died of wounds on September 30, 1917 , at the age of twenty-two. He had the honour of being mentioned in despatches by Sir Douglas Haig for gallantry on the field.


Kilmarnock - King Street

Kilmarnock - College Wynd


2ND LIEUTENANT ANDREW BRYSON, H.L.I., son of Mrs. Bryson, Howard Street , was a pupil of the Academy for ten years. He took a very keen and active interest in the Cadet Corps, of which he was N.C.O. Regarded as a good shot, he was chosen with a few others by Captain Yuille to shoot at Darnley, where they distinguished themselves by winning second highest place in the competition open to all schools. Continuing his education at Skerry's College, he was later employed in the Inland Revenue Office, Motherwell. He enlisted in the 9th H.L.I., was soon promoted as N.C.O., and on his recovery from a wound received his commission, he earned distinction by helping to relieve a corporal and seven men at Mouvres, but was killed while acting as liaison officer between H.L.I. and R.S.F.


2ND LIEUTENANT J. A. C. CAIRNS, K.O.S.B., was the only son of Rev. John Cairns, formerly minister of Glencairn U.F. Church , Kilmarnock , now of New Road Presbyterian Church, Woolwich, and Senior Chaplain to the Forces of the Presbyterian Church of England. He was born at Kilmarnock on 18th September, 1894 . He attended Kilmarnock Academy from 1902 till 1904, when he went to Woolwich with his father. He continued his school education successively at Foxhill School , Bloomfield Road School , and the City of London School, and then became a law apprentice and student at Edinburgh . In October, 1914, he received a commission in the 4th K.O.S.B., in which his father had served thirty years before. He was stationed in turn at Galashiels, Dunfermline , Rumbling Bridge , and Inverkeithing. Thereafter he was sent to Gallipoli in charge of a part of the junior officers to take the place of those who had fallen. In a comparatively short time, such were the dangers and hardships to which they were exposed, three only were left to carry on the work of ten. While the peninsula was being evacuated, Lieutenant Cairns was sent in charge of a party to lay out wire in front. The task was nearly completed when he was struck by a bullet and died almost immediately. He is buried there in the cemetery of the 52nd Division. Lieutenant Cairns was of a lovable disposition, quiet and considerate, keen and eager in everything he undertook, and was a great favourite with the men.


GUNNER THOMAS CALDERWOOD, R.G.A., attended the Academy in North Hamilton Street under Dr. Dickie, and left in 1893 to enter his father's business as tailor, clothier, and livery outfitter, and later on became a partner in the firm. He was a prominent supporter of the Kilmarnock Cricket Club both as a player and as a member of committee, and in recognition of his services to the club was elected an honorary life member. He joined the army in March, 1917, was drafted to Palestine in August of that year, and served with the R.G.A. there till the Armistice was signed. He was retained in Palestine as one of the army of occupation, and died there of typhus fever in March, 1919.


PRIVATE JOHN CALDWELL, R.S.F., son of Mr. David Caldwell, South Hamilton Street , was a pupil in the Intermediate Department about the year 1907. Joining the 13th Battalion H.L.I., he trained for some time in Yorkshire and Fifeshire, was drafted to France in July, 1916, and there transferred to the 2nd R.S.F. Three weeks after his arrival in France he was reported missing. It is presumed that he was killed on 30th July, 1916 , near Guillemont, on the Somme . Quiet even to shyness, John was not given to expressing his views, but nevertheless would at times pronounce shrewd judgment on what passed around him.



TROOPER ROBERT CALDWELL, Ayrshire Yeomanry, was the fourth son of Mr. John Caldwell, Corsehill, Dreghorn. He received his education at Kilmarnock Academy , where he spent nine years. He left school in 1909, and for the next few years assisted his father at the farm. After war broke out he joined the Ayrshire Yeomanry as a trooper, and in January, 1917, was drafted to Egypt and thence to Palestine . Unfortunately he was not many months there till he made the supreme sacrifice. At Gaza , on 30th August, he was killed when crossing a ridge swept by machine gun fire. He was of a quiet and unassuming disposition, but always bright and cheery, and a great favourite with all who knew him.


A. B. WILLIAM CAMPBELL, R.N.D., elder son of Mrs. J. Campbell, 22 Thomson Street , received most of his education in the Academy. Leaving school in 1908, he became a clerk in the local branch of the Clydesdale Bank, and on the completion of his apprenticeship was promoted to the Newmilns office. Enlisting in October, 1914, he was trained at the Crystal Palace, London, and at the end of six months sailed for Gallipoli, fought in several engagements, and was killed in action on 8th July, 1915.


CORPORAL A. IAN CAMPBELL, R.S.F., younger brother of the above, was for several years an Academy pupil. When he left school in 1913 he became an apprentice engineer, but after only a few months he joined H.M. Forces at the early age of 15 years. Being too young to go overseas he was retained in the United Kingdom as Sergeant-Instructor of Signalling till 1918. During the great offensive in March of that year, when he was only nineteen years old, he was drafted across to France with a company of other young recruits. Ten days after landing in that country he, with the whole company, was posted as missing, and finally notified as killed.


PRIVATE BENJAMIN CARRUTHERS, K.O.S.B., son of the late William Carruthers, High Fenwick, received his early education at the village school, and thereafter took the day Commercial Course at the Academy. Leaving school in 1915 he entered the office of the Town Clerk, Kilmarnock . On his eighteenth birthday he joined the army, and was attached to the R.S.F. After a year's training at Fort Matilda he was drafted to France and there transferred to the K.O.S.B. He was not fated to see much active service. Going into action for the first time on 29th July, 1918 , he was seriously wounded and died three days later at the early age of nineteen. His elder brother was also on service, and it seemed a strange coincidence that the two should meet, quite accidentally, just before Ben went into action. He was of a reserved and retiring disposition, but had made many friends both at school and in the army.


Kilmarnock - Morton Place

Kilmarnock - Titchfield Street


SERGEANT ROBERT C. CARSWELL, R.F.A., came with his parents to Kilmarnock from Dumfries , and attended Kilmarnock Academy till about the year 1903. He was employed as an engine fitter in the Glasgow and South-Western Railway Works until war broke out, when he enlisted in the 2nd R.F.A. He died at Stenhouse, Larbert, on the 24th March, 1915 .


LANCE-CORPORAL JAMES W. B. CHALMERS, H.L.I.—James Chalmers was enrolled as an intermediate pupil at the Academy in the autumn of 1910, where he made many good friends, some of whom he was afterwards to meet again while under canvas. On leaving school he entered the service of the G. & S.-W. Railway, and was booking clerk at Annbank in 1916, when his country's call bade him leave the line. He joined the Ayrshire Yeomanry, then training as an infantry regiment at Scone and Hawick. Near the end of 1916 he was drafted to France , where he was in the thick of the fighting round St. Quentin, till by a shrapnel wound in the head he was disabled and sent home to England . In a Bristol hospital he was privileged to enjoy but one week of rest from the din of war though not from the pain of wounds, and when at last his injuries were attended to they proved too serious. He passed away on May 5th, 1917 , only eleven months after enlisting.


PRIVATE WILLIAM CLELAND, R.F.A., of Ronaldcoup Road , Darvel, was reported missing shortly after he entered the fighting line on the western front. Some months later information was received through the Red Cross from a prisoner in Germany that he had been killed in action.


CAPTAIN ALEXANDER FINDLAY COOK, R.A.M.C., was a pupil of the Academy for four years, 1904 till 1908. When he left school he went to a shipping office for about two years. He then entered the medical course at Glasgow University in 1911, and graduated in April, 1916. In the summer of 1915 he was appointed Resident House Physician in the Western Infirmary, Glasgow, for a period of six months, at the end of which time he was appointed Casualty Surgeon. He was a member of the University O.T.C., and in August, 1916, received his commission as lieutenant in the Special Reserve of Officers. Immediately afterwards he was sent to Egypt , being attached to the 1/1st Lowland Field Ambulance, 52nd Division, Egyptian Expeditionary Force. In February, 1917, he received his captaincy, and was transferred to German East Africa , where he was appointed Officer Commanding the Carrier's Hospital, Morogora. Towards the end of 1917 he was transferred to Dodoma where, under his instructions and to his plans, a hospital was built for the accommodation of 500 native carriers. He remained in charge of this hospital until it was disbanded on the conclusion of the war. Returning home in May, 1919, he was sent to Edinburgh as medical officer to the troops stationed at the castle and the islands in the Forth . Thereafter he was transferred to Fort Matilda in the same capacity. While in Africa he had contracted malaria, and when suffering from a renewed attack died at home, 28th July, 1920 , aged twenty-eight years.



TROOPER GEORGE C. W. CORSON, Scottish Horse, was born in Queensland , Australia , in 1895. When a child he was sent to the Mother Country to stay with his aunts in Mauchline. After he had completed his elementary education in the local school he was sent to Kilmarnock Academy . He passed through the school with great credit, winning golden opinions from those competent to judge. Of a bright disposition and possessed of a keen sense of humour, he was a great favourite with his classmates. After his school career he decided to make use of his naturally keen love of animals and follow the profession of veterinary surgeon. While engaged on his professional training war broke out. Joining the Scottish Horse he completed his military training and proceeded with his regiment overseas. Through the ordeals and stress of hard campaigning his buoyant spirit carried him safely till on 10th November, 1918 , just one day before the Armistice brought a cessation of hostilities, the sun of this promising young life set for ever. He was in his twenty-third year.


LIEUTENANT JOHN COWAN, Canadians, was the youngest son of the late John Cowan, works manager at the G. & S.-W. Railway Works, Kilmarnock . He left the Academy in 1904 and served his apprenticeship with Hugh Lauder & Co., King Street . With the rest of the family he went to Canada , and when war broke out was among the first to join the colours. He was killed in action at Vimy Ridge in April, 1917.


JOHN C. CURRIE, Canadians, who met his death when on outpost duty at St. Olle, near Cambrai, on 27th September, 1918 , had come over with the Canadians in 1916. He was a pupil of the Kilmarnock Academy from 1885-1894. Before going abroad Mr. Currie was in the office of Messrs. P. & W. MacLellan, Glasgow. He had spent some years in Canada , where he married, and finally took up a real estate agency in Regina . He was in the Canadian Office in London for some months before being sent to France , where he was killed only a few weeks later. His widow and two little sons returned to Canada to make their home in Nelson, B.C. John Currie was a member of the Rugby Athletic Club in his Kilmarnock days, and had great love of open-air country life. Some of his farmer friends can still picture his tall figure striding across the winter stubble with a Ne'erday shooting party, or driving the reaper through the sunny cornfields. Genial laughter and an ever present kindliness are associated with the name of John Currie, one of the many men who quietly and without ostentation left all and gave their life. He was thirty-eight years of age when he fell.

1/4th R.S.F.

PRIVATE WILLIAM CHARLES DAVIDSON, 1/4th R.S.F., youngest son of the late Alexander Davidson, chemist, Kilmarnock , received all his education at the Academy, being dux of his class in various years. Though he left school at the age of fourteen he continued year after year to take evening classes, in which his success bore out the promise of his schooldays. At the outbreak of war he was a watchmaker with Messrs. J. Cameron & Son. Joining the 4th R.S.F. in September, 1914, he accompanied the battalion to Gallipoli. He was one of a party, numbering nearly a hundred of the R.S.F., who were reported missing on 12th July, 1915 . He was twenty-five years of age at the time of his death.


Kilmarnock Cross

Kilmarnock - King Street


PRIVATE CHARLES F. DICKSON, H.L.I, youngest son of the late William Dickson, George Hotel , Kilmarnock , was educated at Kilmarnock Academy and Prestwick High School . When war broke out he was with the firm of Church & Co., stockbrokers, and was a member of the Glasgow University O.T.C. Aged nineteen, he was killed near La Bassée on 15th February, 1915 , being one of the first Glasgow Highlanders to fall.


SERGEANT DAVID A. F. DICKSON, Canadians, brother of the preceding, was at the Academy for nine years, leaving in 1902. After two years at Glasgow High School he joined the staff of the Union Bank, Kilmarnock . Thence he was appointed accountant in the Dalbeattie branch and later received an appointment in the Union Bank of Canada at Winnipeg . He afterwards became a solicitor and notary public in Manitoba . On receiving news of his younger brother's death he abandoned a promising career to join the fighting line. He was killed on the 9th April, 1917 , in the attack on the Vimy Ridge by the Canadians. He was twenty-nine years of age.


2ND LIEUTENANT WILLIAM DUFF, H.L.I., only son of Mr. T. Duff, 37 Park Circus, Ayr , received most of his education at Kilmarnock Academy . Leaving in Class IV., he proceeded to Hutcheson's Grammar School, where he was recognised from the first as an earnest and successful student, and in his last year was school captain. He had just enrolled as a medical student at Glasgow University when he joined the army. On 18th November, 1916 , he was reported wounded and missing, and it was presumed that he was killed on that date at Beaumont Hamel. He was last seen encouraging his men to keep together in an attack which he had been ordered to make on the German lines. He was at that time only twenty years of age. As a schoolboy Willie Duff was distinguished by a singular kindliness of disposition, combined with a power of concentration and a quiet sense of humour which made him a noticeable member of a class of boys remarkable for their capacity for work and enjoyment alike. The same thoughtful outlook on life made him as an officer take a high view of his responsibilities towards his men.


TROOPER WILLIAM GEORGE DUGUID, 8th Light Horse, A.I.F., was the third son of Mr. C. Duguid, M.A., of Saltcoats, where he was born on the 23rd of August, 1895 . He was a pupil at Kilmarnock Academy from 1909 till 1912, and the following year went out to Australia , where his eldest brother Charlie had settled down as a medical practitioner. He had begun work as an agricultural student at Uhill , Victoria , when the war broke out, and he volunteered for imperial service on his nineteenth birthday. He served with distinction in Gallipoli, in Egypt , and in Palestine , and died on the 19th of April, 1917 , from wounds received in action at the second battle of Gaza . As a schoolboy he held a high position in the affections of his classmates; while his courage and fortitude in the presence of danger, and his brightness and cheerfulness in camp, especially when things were going wrong, made him a general favourite with his regiment.



PRIVATE JOHN A. DUNLOP, Royal Scots, was associated in business with his father, Mr. James H. Dunlop, mill engineer and colliery furnisher. The whole of his school career was spent at the Academy, which he left in 1903. After service in France with the Royal Scots, he was invalided home and died at the age of twenty-nine. John was one of the best known golfers in the Kilmarnock district, and was the chosen of Kilmarnock (Barassie) Golf Club in the “ Evening Times” tournament. No man was more respected for his kindly good nature, and no player more honoured for the possession of all the virtues of a true sportsman.


SAPPER T. EMERY, R.G.A., son of Mr. Thomas Emery, 24 Thomson Street, was killed on the 25th September, 1918, at St. Quentin, when twenty-two years of age. In 1911 he left the Academy to engage in business with his uncle, Andrew Kyle, Ltd., mineral borers, Galston. He joined up as a gunner in the R.G.A. and, attached to the 90th Heavy Battery, saw much service in France . Transferred to the R.E.'s., his training as a borer led to his being engaged in water boring operations behind the lines. It was while he was engaged in this duty that a large calibre shell exploded in the midst of the party with whom he was working, and killed all.


SERGEANT JAMES W. EWING, R.S.F., came to the Academy in 1910, and, finding interest in the engineering classes, took up engineering as his occupation at his home in Catrine. Having joined the local company of Territorials in 1913, he was called out in 1914, and went to Gallipoli with the 5th R.S.F. in 1915. There he was wounded and invalided home. On recovery Sergeant Ewing went out to France with the 4th R.S.F., and on 23rd April, 1917 , met his death near Arras . Many of his companions are among the unreturning brave, and on the school roll of honour are inscribed names of those he knew well——John Harvey, Alexander M‘Curdie, Archie Baxter, Andrew Brown, and James Chalmers. Strange to say, he chanced to meet the last-mentioned on the Western Front shortly before his death. They were Kilmarnock Academy classmates as well as companions in earlier days, and their deaths were recorded in the same issue of the “Glasgow Herald.”


ENGINEER JOHN FAIRWEATHER, R.N.V.R., a brother of Mr. Charles Fairweather, gas engineer, left Kilmarnock Academy in 1903, and served his apprenticeship as an engineer with Messrs. A. Barclay, Sons & Co., Ltd. He gained further experience, especially of marine engines, in several of the Clyde engineering establishments, and took his marine company's certificate in 1914. He was in the Blue Star Company's service when the Germans attacked Antwerp , and his ship was one of the last to leave the docks of that city after the Germans had begun their bombardment. After undergoing a naval training he was transferred to H.M.S. “Clan M‘Naughton” about Christmas, 1914. In February, 1915, the vessel was lost, not one of the naval crew of three hundred surviving.


Kilmarnock - Sandbed

Kilmarnock - High Street


SERGEANT WILLIAM G. FERGUSON, Ayrshire Yeomanry, was first assistant master in Hamilton School —the old Academy—where he himself was educated. He was, before going to Glasgow University , a pupil teacher in Grammar School under the late Mr. Murray. A graduate in arts, he came back to Kilmarnock as an assistant in Hamilton School , was later transferred to Glencairn School , and after being there three years returned as first assistant to Hamilton School . The motive which inspired William G. Ferguson's life was the sense of duty. All that he did was done in scrupulous fashion, careless of approval or danger, and we believe that his courage, his uprightness, and his love for the true and worthy are inspiring many who were taught by him. Only his intimate friends appreciated him fully, and to these he stood for all that was staunch and true. His natural manner was reserved and unassuming, but his quiet, pawky humour always illuminated his conversation. He was killed at Bapaume , France , on the 22nd August, 1918 . His sister, Mrs. Law, resides at Argyle Terrace, Woodstock Street .


PRIVATE JAMES G. FINLAY, F.S.A.A., 17th H.L.I., was killed in action at the battle of the Somme on the 1st of July, 1916 .


CORPORAL JAMES FISHER, R.S.F., son of Mr. Thomas Fisher, 44 Glebe Road , on completing his course at the Academy, became an assistant with Mr. Hay, architect, and proved an exceptionally accurate and artistic draughtsman. In his evening school career especially he distinguished himself, and was carrying on his professional studies at the Royal Technical College when he was mobilised with the 1/4 Battalion of the R.S.F. He was killed at the Dardanelles in June, 1915.


2ND LIEUTENANT JAMES F. FULTON, Camerons, was the son of Mr. Hugh Fulton, 2 Scott Road , Kilmarnock . His elementary education was obtained at Bentink School . After being two years at the Academy he began work in Messrs. T. Stewart & Sons, ironmongers, and then found employment in the engineer's office, N.B. Railway Co., Glasgow . He joined the Camerons in August, 1914, and left for France in July, 1915, his first engagement being at Loos. Lieutenant Joseph Wilson was his platoon commander. He received his commission in his own regiment, and after training at St. Omer was almost continuously in the firing line till he fell in the battle of the Somme on 12th October, 1916 , at Warlincourt, near Bapaume. He was twenty-two years of age.



PRIVATE ANDREW R. GIBB, of the Glasgow Commercial Battalion—the 17th H.L.I.—was the son of Mr. Hugh Gibb, B.A. (Lond.), a former assistant in Kilmarnock Academy, who till recently was headmaster of Dundonald Public School. His early education was obtained at Dundonald and at Kilmarnock Academy . With the intention of taking up a commercial career he entered the employment of Messrs. William Graham & Co., exporters, Glasgow, and at the same time attended commercial and industrial classes in the Athenæum and the Royal Technical College . He was an exceptionally bright and cheery lad, full of happy jests and vigorous life, and both in school and in business left many happy memories behind. He was an energetic member of the Kilmarnock Golf Club, Barassie, where he enjoyed and made others enjoy many a pleasant afternoon. Among his classmates were Andrew Y. Young, Robert Pettigrew, and T. Morton Steven. When the war broke out he joined the 17 th HLI. After a period of training he was dispatched to France , where in the battle of the Somme on the 1st of July, 1916 , he was reported missing after his regiment had reached its objective. As he was never heard of again it was assumed that he had been killed during the advance.


PRIVATE GEORGE GILCHRIST, Royal Warwicks, was killed in action in October, 1917, at the age of twenty-one. He was a son of Mr. George Gilchrist, 29 West Netherton Street , Kilmarnock . He was a lad of fine character, possessed of intelligence and perseverance much above the average. Receiving his early education at the Grammar School, he entered the Academy in 1907, where his ability was evidenced by his gaining a bursary and several prizes. He was a favourite with teachers and scholars alike. He left in December, 1911, and after a few months in the office of Messrs. Waugh, Broadfoot, & Reid, house factors, Kilmarnock , he entered the service of the National Bank of Scotland, Ltd., at their branch in Kilmarnock , where his ability and aptitude for his duties speedily gained for him the esteem and confidence of his superiors. He was transferred to the Glasgow office of the bank in November, 1915, with the prospect of a successful career. In the following January he enlisted in the Royal Engineers. Although of slender build, he had a heroic spirit, and was indignant when it was hinted that he was not strong enough for combatant service. After training he was drafted to France , where he served with the Royal Warwicks from January till 4th October, 1917 , when he made the supreme sacrifice.


PRIVATE HUGH GILCHRIST, A. & S.H., was a son of Mr. Archibald Gilchrist, South Hamilton Street . Coming to the Academy as a boy of eleven he was associated with Charlie Davidson and his friends, and in his four years there was a very promising but modest pupil. This same modest bearing, a generous heart, and an alacrity in carrying out any duties assigned to him seemed to be characteristic of him as apprentice, manager, or soldier. When war broke out he was manager of the Glasgow branches of Messrs. A. & H. Gilchrist, painters and decorators. Accepted first for the R.A.M.C. he was soon transferred to the A. & S.H. Twice he was invalided home. He was killed near Cambrai on the 6th December, 1917 , at the age of twenty-six.


PRIVATE FRED GREEN, Scots Guards, a son of the late Mr. Fred Green, hosiery merchant, King Street , was a pupil of the Academy for two years. On leaving school he entered his father's business, where he remained for two years. Golf was his pastime and he was often to be seen on the links at Barassie. With a liking for electricity and its application, he joined the National Telephone Company, which was afterward taken over by the G.P.O. He had almost completed his apprenticeship with this company when he joined the Scots Guards in October, 1914, and was drafted to France about six months later. He had been in France only three weeks when his company went into action, and at the Battle of Festubert, on 16th May, 1915 , the Guards were surrounded and completely wiped out.


Kilmarnock - Old Street, Riccarton

Kilmarnock - Riccarton Toll


LANCE-CORPORAL OLIVER GEMMELL, Gordons, born at 12 Portland Road , Kilmarnock , was a pupil at the Academy until his parents removed to Glasgow . When war was declared he was with Messrs. Donald & Murray, chartered accountants, and was preparing for his final examination. Immediately on passing he enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders, and was soon in the thick of the fighting. After coming through many severe engagements he was killed on 16th August, 1916 , while on outpost duty on the Somme , a shell having buried the wooden shed which served as shelter.


GUNNER P. SCOTT GEMMELL, M.M., M.M.G., being much older than his brother Oliver, received all his education at the Academy. After serving his apprenticeship with Messrs. Hugh Lauder & Co., and gaining further experience in London and Birmingham , he settled in Glasgow , where he was in 1914. As a gunner in the Motor Machine Gun Section he saw service over a wide area. He was awarded the Military Medal for destroying a German salient, the guns of which were causing great havoc in our lines. Seeing that the enemy were beyond the range of the Lewis gun nearest them, Gunner Gemmell suggested to the officer in charge that with two bombers and other two men he and his mate might try to wipe out the salient. Two of the men were killed and two wounded, but they achieved their purpose. After serving through the greater part of the war and narrowly escaping death many times, Gunner Gemmell was killed on the Menin Road on 29th September, 1918 , when walking towards his gun. The news reached his wife when she was awaiting the date of his leave then due.

A. & S.H.

LANCE-CORPORAL THOMAS C. GOLD, A. & S.H., brother of Mr. W. Gold, auctioneer, was a pupil of Kilmarnock Academy for ten years. He left school in 1907, and went to Messrs. Glenfield & Kennedy, Ltd., to serve his apprenticeship as an engineer. He was afterwards transferred to the drawing office, and at that time attended the evening school, where he won many prizes for mathematics and engineering. In August, 1914, he received an appointment as draughtsman with Messrs. Palmer & Co., shipbuilders, Jarrow, and in May, 1915, he joined the A. & S. Highlanders. He soon became a lance-corporal, and was drafted to France in early October, 1915. He fell a few days later at St. Eloi, at the early age of twenty-four. Tom Gold was a favourite with his classmates, many of whom, among them Colin Stevenson, Willie Kerr, John Dalgleish, Jim Brockie, saw service by land and sea, and four of them, R. Highet, Duncan Muir, W. M‘Innes, W. Picken, like Tom himself, gave their lives for their country.


2ND LIEUTENANT AUBREY P. HAGGO, Royal Warwicks, son of Mr. John Haggo, Town Chamberlain, Kilmarnock , was educated at the Academy during the years 1898-1910. He received his early business training in the Commercial Bank, Kilmarnock , and afterwards was employed by the firm of Messrs. Steel Bros., export and import merchants, London . Had the war not intervened he would have proceeded to Rangoon to take up duties for the firm in their offices there. Joining the London Scottish he was with them during the annual period of training in July, 1914, and shortly afterwards was mobilised on the outbreak of the war. The London Scottish was the first of the Territorials to go into the fighting line, and he was with his regiment when it made that famous bayonet charge at Messines in October, 1914. He came through the charge scatheless, but later was invalided home. On his recovery he took a course of training at Ripon and Catterick, and got a commission in the 3/4th R.S.F., but in response to a request for officers for English regiments he volunteered for service. He was then, in May, 1916, attached to the Royal Warwicks as bombing officer. In August, after being only five weeks at the front, he was killed while leading his men in an attack on the enemy trenches. He was in his twenty-fourth year. His was a most attractive personality, bright, happy, and quick at repartee; but underneath it all there was a strong sense of duty interpreted by him in service and sacrifice.



PRIVATE JOHN HARVEY, Royal Fusiliers, of Shiel Farm, Sorn. Between 1909 and 1912 John Harvey was a pupil at Kilmarnock Academy , and will be remembered by his contemporaries for the energy and enthusiasm with which he entered every game and the determination which he always displayed. He will also be known to some in banking circles, for before joining up he was for three years in the Union Bank of Scotland , Kilmarnock . With the Bankers' Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, attached to 12th Middlesex Regiment, he went to France , where he was killed in action on the 24thof October, 1916.


COMPANY-SERGEANT ROBERT HIGHET, R.S., born in Kilmarnock , 1891, was a pupil of the Academy from 1896 till 1905. being dux boy in his class every year. After three years in the Town Chamberlain's office he was associated with his father as assistant to the Secretary of the Ayrshire District of the Independent Order of Rechabites. In 1913 he was appointed examiner of accounts in Uganda British East Africa Protectorate, and in August, 1914, he was invalided home with malarial fever. Arriving in Manchester on 14th September, within a week he joined the 16th Royal Scots with the rank of sergeant, and was sent with recruits to Edinburgh Castle . Several times he declined a commission, preferring to win it on the field of battle. He was recommended for a commission when the push began on 1st July, 1916 . In leading his men he was shot through the head forty minutes after the beginning of the attack. His good memory and his exceptional smartness at figures were regarded as valuable assets not only in civil life but also in training camp and in the trenches, and his bright disposition won him many friends.


LANCE-SERGEANT WILLIAM WALLACE HIGHET, Manchesters, attended the Academy from 1902 till 1911. On his parents' removal to Manchester in 1912 he entered the firm of Messrs. Norbury, Natzio & Co., printers, where he soon established himself as a plodding and painstaking apprentice, and was a promising manager's assistant in the letterpress department. He joined up in 1916, and was attached to the 2/6th Manchester Regiment. After about a year in Colchester he proceeded to France . He was coming home from the front on 18th March, 1918 , but on arrival at the post of embarkation he found that all leave was cancelled. On returning he was drafted up the line, but never rejoined his regiment. It was reported that in an encounter with the Germans on 25th March, 1918 , he was shot through the head. He was only in his twenty-first year. Of a quiet and unassuming nature, but possessed of Scottish perseverance and pluck, he was well liked and was steadily gaining a position by faithfulness to duty.


2ND LIEUTENANT JAMES HYSLOP, R.E., a pupil of the Academy about the years 1898-1900, became a naval architect with Messrs. William Denny & Bros., Dumbarton. Enlisting as a private in the Royal Engineers in May, 1915, he was one of the original members of 217 A.T. Coy. ( Glasgow ), R.E. Active service began early in March, 1916, and on his promotion to sergeant he was entrusted with many important works in France and Belgium . He returned to England in December, 1917, to train for a commission in the R.E., which he obtained in 1918. Just before being posted to a new company he underwent a serious operation. His recovery was slow, and while yet convalescent he took influenza, to which he succumbed in February, 1919.


Kilmarnock - Strand Street

Kilmarnock - Sandbed


CAPTAIN THOMAS CAMERON HOUSTON, R.A.M.C., was born at Lugar in 1889. After his early education at the village school he continued his studies at Kilmarnock Academy . The chemical laboratory was his favourite resort, and from the beginning he showed a natural aptitude for practical science. Leaving school he trained as a chemist in Glasgow , and later he entered Glasgow University as a medical student. With his fellow-students his company was always in demand. Much of the popularity enjoyed by Tom was attributed to his extensive repertoire of witty stories and humorous recitations. The characteristic tilt of the head, the merry twinkle of the eyes behind his eyeglasses, can never be forgotten by his friends. In 1915, after a successful career at the University, he obtained his medical degree. While at the University he was an enthusiastic member of the O.T.C. On receiving a commission in the R.A.M.C., he was attached to a field ambulance, and after completing his military training in this country Captain Houston proceeded with his regiment to France . Arriving there he was drafted direct to the field of battle in the district of High Wood where, on the 25th August, 1916, after three weeks' active service, and while dressing the wounds and comforting his dying comrades on the field, this gallant young officer fell fatally wounded by shell fire, in his twenty-seventh year.


PRIVATE JAMES HOWIE, R.S.F., was the son of Mr. James Howie, 14 Howard Park Drive , Kilmarnock . He entered Kilmarnock Academy in the autumn of 1907, and left there two years later to begin his apprenticeship as an engineer with Messrs. Glenfield & Kennedy. He was in the local Territorial Battalion which mobilised at the beginning of the war, and after a few months' training was despatched to Gallipoli. He was one of the many who were reported missing after the disastrous 12th July, 1915 . At the time of his death he was twenty years of age.


PRIVATE HUBERT C. HUTTON, South African Scottish, was an old Academy boy. Many of the old school will remember Jamie, Dick, Fred, and Hubert Hutton, all sons of Mrs. Hutton, Manse Street . Hubert left school to begin his career as a banker in the Union Bank, transferred to the African Banking Corporation, London, and later went to the head office at Johannesburg in that service. He came home with the first contingent of the South African Scottish, and was seriously wounded at Delville Wood in July, 1916. He was taken to South Africa and died on 3rd September, 1916 , in Johannesburg . When he joined up he was on the way to a most successful career, for his work with the banking corporation was highly valued.


PRIVATE WILLIAM JOHNSTON, Royal Scots, attended Hurlford Academy , and afterwards spent three years at Kilmarnock Academy , where he gained the Intermediate Certificate, was a Speir's prizeman in mathematics each year, and also distinguished himself in Science and Latin. He would have filled almost any position successfully, but elected to follow in the path of his country's need and, as he said, “Go and do his bit.” He joined the Ayrshire Yeomanry two months after the declaration of war, and in less than a month, with very little training, he found himself in France . After coming through much hard fighting he was transferred to the 11th Battalion Royal Scots as Lewis gunner. Emerging from many critical situations with extraordinary good luck, he fell at the third battle of Ypres , 16th September, 1917 , and was interred in Hooge Crater Cemetery .



2ND LIEUTENANT JAMES R. KEAN, R.S.F., son of Mr. John Kean, of Kilmarnock Post Office, was a pupil in the Higher Grade Department of the Academy for five years, leaving at the age of sixteen. He was mobilised with the local territorial battalion in August, 1914. He had some training at Stirling , and then went with the battalion to Gallipoli. From there he was invalided home, but rejoined his battalion in Palestine . After training at Cairo he gained his commission there in June, 1918. He was mortally wounded in France on 19th September, and died in hospital, 1st October, 1918 . James Kean had already given promise of making his mark in the world. A particularly skilful penman he began work in the office of Smith & Wallace, chartered accountants, but left there to go into the G. & S.-W. Railway's service (stores department), where he was certain to have attained to a high position.


CHAPLAIN THE REVEREND JOHN KELLIE, M.A., B.D., Ph.D. 6th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, only son of the late R. M. Kellie, J. P., was one of the most distinguished sons of the Academy. Leaving as dux in classics in 1900 he proceeded to Edinburgh University where in 1904 he graduated M.A. with honours in mental philosophy. In his divinity course in the following three years he took first prize in divinity in each successive class, and among numerous other distinctions won the Aitken scholarship. In compliance with its conditions he continued his studies at the universities of Marburg , Heidelberg , and Berlin , and in 1909 took the degree of doctor of philosophy at Erlangen . After a short time as assistant in Cathcart Parish Church , he was ordained minister of Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, in 1910. A lover of the open air, he was well known as a golfer, and his strength in swimming enabled him to save the lives of two of his people at the village picnic to the Croy shore in 1910. For this action he was awarded the medal of the Royal Humane Society. During the war he served for two years in France as chaplain to the 6th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, taking part in nearly every engagement during that period. His absolute unselfishness and disregard for his own personal comfort and safety, the consuming desire to be an inspiration and help to his men, led him at all times to share their hardships and dangers. On three separate occasions his name was put forward for the military cross. He was killed at Ypres on 31st July, 1917 , when going over the top with his men. He was thirty-three years of age, and is survived by his wife and one daughter .


PRIVATE JAMES KERR, 9th H.L.I., son of Mr. John Kerr, J.P., Muirkirk, was three years in the Higher Grade Department, leaving in 1912. After taking his Intermediate Certificate he entered the Trongate branch of the Clydesdale Bank. He joined the army on 14th September, 1914 , and after seven weeks' training left for France . During the next nine months he took part in much fighting. On 9th July, 1915 , he was killed at the age of nineteen, when about to receive a commission. His short training took place at a time when army material was scarce, and his despatch to the front was so hurried that, as a correspondent writes, “None of his friends even saw him in uniform.”


PRIVATE WILLIAM KERR, H.L.I., son of Robert Kerr, 37 M‘ Lelland Drive , attended the Academy during the session 1905-6. On leaving school he was employed for two and a half years in the engineering office of Messrs. Glenfield & Kennedy, Ltd. From there he went to the Glasgow office of the Linen Thread Co., and later to the London office of the same company. He then returned to Kilmarnock as traveller for Robert Wilson, wool merchant, Clerk's Lane. He enlisted in the H.L.I. in September, 1914, and crossed to France in January, 1915, after less than five months' training. He was wounded in February, 1915, and treated in hospital at St. Omer. He was again wounded, this time with fatal results, at Festubert. He died on 31st May, 1915 , at the age of twenty-two, and is buried at Rouen .


Kilmarnock - Park Street

Kilmarnock - John Finnie Street


CORPORAL JAMES KING, 1/4th R.S.F., eldest son of Mr. John King, Dunlop Street, Stewarton, attended the Academy during the years 1910-12, after which he entered the business of Messrs. Copestake, Crampton & Co., Glasgow. In 1914 he was called up with the Territorials. On 11th July he was killed by a sniper at Gallipoli, and was buried in the Atcha Baba Nullah Cemetery .


PRIVATE ROBERT KING, R.S., third son of Mr. John King, was a pupil at the Academy when war was declared. After leaving school he was employed in the Stewarton branch of the Royal Bank. On attaining the age of 18 in March, 1917, he was called up and detailed to the 9th Royal Scots. In March, 40 1918, he went to France , and inApril his battalion took part in the fierce fighting around La Bassée. For a long time thereafter he was reported missing, but he must have fallen on that fiercely contested piece of ground.


PRIVATE JAMES H. KIRKLAND, Seaforths, was the elder brother of Private John A. Kirkland. After leaving the Academy he continued his studies for five years at the Technical School , with distinction. He was an excellent student and gained many prizes awarded by employers and School Board, and gave promise of filling an outstanding position in the profession he had adopted. He had been awarded a bursary at the Technical School , tenable at the Royal Technical College , Glasgow , when war broke out, and he gave up all idea of continuing his studies for the time. He joined the 7th Seaforths, and was in the fighting line shortly after his arrival in France . Wounded at the battle of Loos, he was invalided home for six months. When sufficiently recovered and able to return to the fighting line, he took part in the heavy conflicts around the Somme and there he was fatally wounded. His brother and he were the only sons of their widowed mother .


PRIVATE JOHN A. KIRKLAND, Black Watch, was the younger son of the late Mr. John Kirkland, Craigie Road , patternmaker in the Glenfield, and later secretary of the I.O.R. After three years at the Academy he entered the office of Messrs. Howie, fireclay manufacturers, Hurlford. In this position, by diligence and proved efficiency, he rose to be assistant cashier to the firm. In 1915 he joined the 3rd Black Watch in Kitchener 's Army, and was soon drafted to Mesopotamia . In the army he took part in the rifle competitions organised amongst the different sections, and proved himself the best shot in the battalion. However he never made use of this prowess with the rifle since he was not once in action, for he fell a victim to the deadly malaria which was raging in the East when he happened to be there. He was twenty-one years of age .